The most efficient ways to solve the problem of not enough time and resources are web development services outsourcing and outstaffing. If you hire an experienced senior-level developer, they can divide their time between working on the project and filling in the role of the CTO. Outsourcing to an IT vendor is preferable to working with freelancers as you get:
- Guarantees and legal protection;
- Replacement tech lead in case of emergency;
- Scalable development team;
- Talent pool to outsource design, QA, project management, and more.
Upon transferring the technical management to the outsourcing developer, startups can focus on strategic planning and promotion, dealing with:
- New investors search;
- New sales channels search and testing;
- Project's strategic development planning, including feature set, integration options, cross-platform and cross-device implementation, and more.
While starting a new business, hiring an outsourcing junior or middle-level developer is cheaper. However, we recommend senior-level experts. The former do not possess the knowledge and technical expertise to build the project from the ground up and factor in future upgrades and evolution. Considering the lead developer will take on the role of the CTO, look for a senior-level specialist to:
- Select the technology stack taking into consideration future development;
- Develop an efficient architecture;
- Establish the project's security;
- Implement necessary features quickly;
- Provide technical consultation on the project's issues and feature implementation;
- Establish seamless communication with in-house team.
While some think outsourcing is not viable for startups, there are dozens of success stories that feature external developers. The fastest growing small companies used offshore talent to meet the deadlines when building MVPs, raise investment funds, and turn into successful businesses. Opera, Mindspark, Solix, and even Skype are among them. Did you know Slack outsourced mobile and web development
along with a logo design on the earliest stages? Now the company is worth over $3 billion.